Bunk beds are a practical option for families looking to save space. Kids love them, but bunk beds can be dangerous. The following guidelines can help you avoid bunk bed nightmares.
- Place bunk beds in a corner, with walls on 2 sides.
- Don’t allow children under age 6 to sleep in the top bunk.
- Never have more than one person sleep in the top bunk at the same time.
- Use guardrails on both sides of the top bunk, and make sure each guardrail is at least 5 inches above the mattress.
- Teach children to climb the ladder carefully and be sure
- The ladder is secure so that it won’t slip. Also, it’s a good idea to install a night light or lamp near the ladder.
- Don’t allow children to jump or rough house on either bunk.
- Never place a bunk near or against a window, and never position a bunk bead under or near a ceiling light or fan.
Lastly, periodically check to make sure all of the connections on your bunk beds are solid and sturdy. Following these simple tips will help keep your children safe.