As a homeowner, you should periodically inspect your foundation for signs that could indicate a potential problem. Here are a few things to look for:
- Cracks in the foundation, whether inside or outside your home.
- Improper water drainage around the foundation, especially from down spouts.
- A wet, or leaking basement.
- Warped, sagging or uneven floors that could indicate settling.
- Doors that are crooked, stick or don’t close properly.
- Gaps at window frames or doors.
- Cracked and bowed walls.
- And cabinets and counters separating from the walls.
While it is common for foundations to develop small cracks over time, significant cracking can cause major leaks and damage. If your foundation is cracked, keep an eye on the cracks over time to see if they are growing. If they are, don’t wait… have a professional inspect and evaluate the extent of damage.