Holding a sale to get rid of unwanted household items can take a lot of planning and can be frustrating if you are not organized. Here are some tips to make your sale successful:
- Pick a good day and time. Saturday mornings and afternoons are the most common.
- Check to see if you’ll need a permit since some communities require them.
- Advertise. Make yard signs, tell your neighbors and advertise on sites like Craigslist.
- Arrange all of your items on tables the night before to make them easier for buyers to view.
- Be sure to have a price tag on each item and price items appropriately.
- Greet people as they arrive. Creating a friendly atmosphere for your customers will encourage them to stay and shop longer.
- Toward the end of your sale, consider offering items at half price or less – and donate any leftover items to charity.
Having a sale can be hard work, but it is a great way to make a few extra dollars and, more importantly, it frees up space in your home or garage.